Friday, August 31, 2012

New Format, Toronto, More Testing

Well we can officially say 'good bye' to the format that we've been playing in for the past 6 months, and furthermore have a YCS on the very first day to see what ends up being good at least for the early part of this format. Undoubtedly people all around the country have put many hours into testing, theorizing, and preparing for this event. We all know what decks will be popular going into this event, and I'm not going to try and predict what will win; realistically it's a crap-shoot like it always is. All I can say is that if there's someone that is very comfortable with all the new Wind-Up combos and some that haven't even really been publicized, and just good with the deck overall, I think they would have a great chance of going far. I think the top 32 will be pretty diverse since the format is relatively undefined. I would expect to see Hero, Dino Rabbit, and Wind-Ups to take quite a few spots of top 32.

As for myself, I think it was on Sunday that I tested with Alan on DN for a few hours, and I finally decided to give up Agents once again. I think in every game we played I opened at least 1 Ball, and my win-loss ratio wasn't great against his Karakuri variants, so again I said "enough is enough" with the deck. Regardless of the variant, the Ball is just too problematic. I for one am excited that the locals in our area will be running the new format (better late than never I guess) and you know, everyone that's been playing under it all along, or at least been researching the trends, will be that much farther ahead than those that have relentlessly held onto the old one and solely been focusing on it (yea, I don't get it either). With regionals coming up in just 3 weeks, I have a lot of locals to go to for the much-needed practice.

We have the box tourney and maybe the team duel which should be happening on the 9th as well, so it's officially crunch time! Good luck to all at Toronto, and since I highly doubt that Konami is going to be releasing decklists, I will do my best to post them as I find them for your easy viewing. I have not been doing it for the past YCS's just because it was toward the end of the format and didn't feel like it mattered all that much anymore.

2 comments:

  1. you forgot about cards of the sky and herald of orange light which may make your ball "live"... up those cards and agents will be a force to be reckoned with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had forgotten 'cards' was a card. I'd probably have to focus on a more Fairy-heavy build rather than Chaos/goodstuff like I had done. Same story with Herald. Thanks for the suggestions and definitely something to consider.

    ReplyDelete