Saturday, October 22, 2011

Locals Report 10-22-11; Lightning Comics

Last night I went to the post office to see if my T'Kings had shown up, and they were finally there! Common T'Kings look weird, lol. I don't remember doing much in the morning besides showering, making breakfast (scrambled eggs w/ chicken, garlic, and cheese - yum), and checking out the start of the Columbus coverage. It's raining like beyond crazy, I'm like "great, gotta deal with all the idiot drivers." I drop my dog off at daycare and drive up to Lightning in the pouring rain. I thought maybe there would be fewer people today since it was raining.

I show up and it's pretty much the same crowd except some randoms were buying up Darkworld decks and this one guy I hadn't seen in a few months came back to play. I look around to try and see what people are playing so I can pick the most relevant 15 for my side. Kim didn't end up showing up, and the one guy that ran Agents last week didn't show up, so I'm totally glad I brought my extra side deck stuff. I woulda had about 6 useless spots otherwise. Jeff said he tweaked his Karakuri deck from last week so we test a few games, I pretty much trounce him so he changes it back to how it was last week. I can tell Colin was playing GB this week so my Mirror of Oaths finally, potentially, had the opportunity to be used. Donut shows up for a quick second and gives me $40 (doing a payment plan on a Pokemon deck I sold him) and a hug and then turns around and leaves. Total attendance this week was 8, three out of the past four weeks have been like this :/

Round 1 vs Older guy who has a bangable-looking daughter, w/ Macro
I've seen this guy ever since I first came to Lightning but never played against him. He's never done particularly well so I wasn't too worried.
Game 1 - I remember him having a pretty good field with Survivor, Tengu, Scout Plane, and my Gachi that he Creature Swap'd. His Macro was also hindering a lot of my cards that require to be sent to the grave (Honest, Orange, Maxx C) and I couldn't get anything in the grave for BLS or Hyperion. Tour Guide puts in work though and eventually I draw backrow removal, get some monsters in my grave, and Hyperion puts in work.
Game 2 - For some reason he summons Caius, I have an Earth and a set backrow and he targets my backrow - Bottomless, and it's pretty much downhill from there for him. After the game I asked him why he didn't just target Earth but he was just like "oh I wasn't thinking straight."
1-0

Round 2 vs Colin w/ Infected Mail GB
Game 1 - He starts w/ a set Hoplo and a s/t, so I MST, summon Earth, Mind Control, and synch for Brio. I really don't remember much beyond that but the only damage I take is 1000 from Venus.
Game 2 - He tries to do some cute tricks but it just results in him having his Bestiari Bottomless'd. He gets some swings in with Infected Mail but I Oaths the Murmillo he brings out to kill my Leviathan, then Earth + Gachi finishes him off.
2-0

In between rounds I watch Jeff play against the Sabers guy, while Big Mike is showing off with this Darkworld deck he made, basically 3 of the structures + Morphing Jar, Raven, and Threatening Roar. He's trouncing people left and right but he's running Goldd, Sillva, Celery, and a bunch of other unncessary stuff. Saber guy ends up beating Jeff, their match was pretty terrible though with a lot of misplays.

Round 3 vs Chris (Returning guy w/ Sabers)
Game 1 - Really don't remember specifics but all I take is 1000 from Venus. He forgot a Darksoul search but it wouldn't have mattered.
Game 2 - I open pretty terrible and he opens well and does sacky Saber stuff.
Game 3 - He Veilers my Venus and then my next turn I get out Catastor. His field becomes Faultroll, Nat Beast, Catastor, and Boggart, suicides the Catastors, attacks with Boggart, then Faultroll rather than Nat Beast first, so I Gorz out. I bring out Hyperion and BLS and he scoops the turn after.
3-0

So I'm the only undefeated and assume it's over, but no, Mike says we'll do a top 4. I'm like are you for real -_- Top 4 ends up being me, Jeff, Chris, and Eric (Older guy w/ dec daughter)

Round 4 vs Eric w/ Macro
Game 1 - This ends up being a pretty good match but my cards gain advantage while his don't. He brought me down to 2500.
Game 2 - I open 2 Master Hyperion, 2 Shine Ball, and a Gold Sarc. I'm like well at least I'll have an excuse if I lose. I think I draw Bottomless and I Gold Sarc for Heavy. Next turn I draw Earth and get the ball rolling. Hyperion is just too good.
4-0

Round 5 vs Jeff w/ Karakuri
Like he said earlier in the day, it would be us in the finals.
Game 1 - I don't get a damn thing going at all and he pokes at me with Karakuris.
Game 2 - I open Triple Tour Guide, Hyperion, Torrential, and Trag. I go Tour Guide into Sangan set Torrential. He passes, I pass, he does some shit and I Torrential and search for Maxx C. He tries to go for game so I Maxx C, I get to draw like 3 and he has a Burei and the 2200 1-tribute guy, he's like "screw it" and activates Limiter, but I Trag out after taking the Burei hit to avoid lethal. He loses his dudes and only has 1 in hand so I reclaim control and take it.
Game 3 - I open Tour Guide + Gold Sarc + Birdman so I combo for Leviair and Trish and he doesn't get anything going after that.
5-0

So undefeated and win again for the 4th week in a row. Come on Coeur d'Alene/Team Destiny players, I'm waiting for someone to end my streak. You're gonna let someone from Spokane come to your turf and beat you every week? Come out of the woodwork, put your Magic cards down, and let's play some Yugz. It's alright though cuz I'm comin' at you with Magic cards soon enough. Eh I know I said I'd stop going to Lightning but I'll play there until the Sneak where I'll cash out my store credit again. And THEN I'll be done driving all the way out there, until I hear attendance goes back up to how it was when I first showed up. I really hate not having any Team O members there, but I can't be expected to drive there every weekend from Spokane when we have 2 members that live in the freakin' town.

Big Mike asks me if I wanted to play him and I actually wanted to see how the Agent vs DW match-up would play out so I said sure I have time for a game.
Game 1 - He does a lot of Dragged Downs, Dealings, and Card Destruction stuff and ends up like +4 on me. I pick away at his board with MST and Hyperion though then bring out Kristya and he has no outs to her.
Game 2 - He opens mediocre and I maintain advantage, BLS and Earth finish it off.
Win 2-0

There isn't really anyone to trade with so I just pack up, say my good-byes, get my credit, and leave.
I come back and do some homework and eat. My wife's friend and I go out to see Paranormal Activity 3. My wife and my wife's friend's husband don't like scary movies but we both wanted to see it so we went together. Holy crap that was a freaky movie. I was a fan of the first two and I'd say this one was the best in terms of creepiness. If they can keep making them better like this I wouldn't mind if they kept coming out once a year. The Saw franchise got stale around the 3rd or 4th one but I'm pretty sure this will be #1 at the box office this weekend and it's getting good reviews. Little girls, and old ladies, are just. plain. creepy. I don't wanna spoil anything, but the end kinda confused me in terms of the people that were killed.

Being gone all day, I haven't been able to keep up with what's been happening in Columbus. The coverage seems pretty meh as usual. And what the hell is with this whole 'Grapha speaking in the third person' crap. Just sounds like Jason trying to push product. God, why can't they make this shit professional looking and sounding like Magic's coverage? And pictures? I've tried opening the pages on both Windows and Linux with Mozilla, IE, and Konqueror but nothing shows up. Pictures rarely ever show up until like hours after the tournament or sometimes days. I can't tell what the hell made it into Day 2 so I'll have to check the forums next. I'm guessing "Synchro Summon" is supposed to be Tengu Synchro? Wtf. It's kinda sad that the forums and Youtube are more beneficial in terms of coverage and finding decklists than the actual coverage site. Magic gets their decklists up pretty much right at the end of the event. It's obviously certainly possible since the European coverage is like that. I think it took 3 weeks for the US coverage to put decklists up for Toronto. I could be blind-folded with one arm tied behind my back and have the lists up quicker than that. Hell anyone that had at least 1 finger or 1 toe could.

Almost forgot the decklist!
3 Hyperion
3 Venus
3 Earth
3 Ball
1 Kristya
1 BLS
1 Gorz
1 Trag
3 Tour Guide
1 Sangan
2 Thunder King
1 Orange
1 Veiler
1 Maxx C
1 Honest
1 Birdman

2 Gold Sarc
1 Hole
1 Reborn
1 Heavy
1 Mind
2 MST

1 Dustshoot
1 Torrential
1 Force
2 Bottomless
1 D-Prison

Same extra as last weekend

Side ended up being
2 Cydra
1 Chimera
2 Oaths
2 Pulling
1 MST
1 Maxx C
1 Debunk
2 Breaker
2 Crow
1 D-Prison

I decided to main 1 Maxx since last week I sided in 2 every game. They weren't helpful in my match against Macro but I liked it against everything else I played. I also dropped it to 1 Kristya because she was dead in my hand much more often than she was live on the field. I personally thought it was OK at 1. I can see why a lot of the OCG builds haven't been running her. She's still one of the best monsters in the game, sure, but she's either a double-trib or gotta get the 4 in the grave, which is harder just cuz Hyperion is so good and you're banishing stuff. Trag is still putting in work for me and keeping me alive against these players that like to go all-in. Next weekend I'll be playing what ever does well at Columbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment