Wednesday, October 19, 2011

PHSW Set Review - Part 5

Finally getting around to catching up! As everyone is saying on the boards, this is a great money set. I think it's a great money set for the Ultras and Secrets, only for Rabbit.dek. As CaptialG said in his video, this isn't quite like TDGS and GENF that had a lot more support for a larger range of decks. Danny and I will both be getting a case - never ordered a case before so that's kinda cool :) Last night I used the rest of my Troll&Toad store credit to buy some Magic singles, cheaper stuff like playsets of the commons and uncommons in Solar Flare, as well as the cheaper rares like Day of Judgment and a few of the lands. I have a little more than half the deck purchased, now I just need to get the more expensive cards.

I will be selling another $100 worth of stuff to ARG but I think that'll be about the end of it. I had to milk the rest of my binder, there are basically no money cards left in it, which is perfectly fine. Actually a lot of it was cheapy holos that no one was interested in the first place. When I had expensive cards in it, people would want it sure but most people don't have much anyway so it was just kind of a waste of time since they'd skip over all the lower-value cards and only focus on the "cream of the crop", while I'm trying to find something more than that super Dandylion or other $5 card in their binder.

Anyways, on to the revealed cards that I haven't written reviews for:
Wind-Up Rabbit
EARTH Beast-Warrior
LV3 1400/900
During either player's turn: You can target 1 “Wind-Up” monster you control; banish it until your next Standby Phase. This effect can only be activated once while this card is face-up on the field.

They're pushing Wind-Ups pretty hard. Will they ever get to the point that GB's, BW's, and GK's did? I dunno, I don't know much about the deck but they seem a lot more fragile than BW's or GK's. Eventually if they release enough broken support it'll be played though. Is Wind-Up Rabbit broken? I don't really think so, it doesn't say draw, destroy, negate, discard, banish (your opponent's card), or special summon anywhere in its text, which are usually the top characteristics of broken cards we have.
Secret Rare
2/5 - I'd probably try to get rid of them at the sneak for $20-30. I dunno, I may be going the wrong way with Wind-Ups but I just don't like them.

Latinum, Exarch of Dark World
DARK Fiend
LV6 1500 DEF 2400
If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent’s card effect, target 1 Fiend-Type monster on the field; Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, then that target (if any) gains 500 ATK.
Ultra Rare

This guy seems pretty bad. At best you give a 500 atk boost to a guy? This won't see play in competitive DW. I'd rather just run Goldd/Sillva, neither of which will see much play either.
2/5 - Give rid of them at the sneak while they have hype value.

Evolzar Dolkka
FIRE Dragon
RK4 2300/1700
2 Level 4 Dinosaur-Type monsters
When an Effect Monster’s effect activates: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the activation and destroy it.
Secret Rare

I covered this guy a little bit, we knew he negated a monster effect but just didn't know how many materials you had to detach. This guy is a walking double Herald of Orange Light with a respectable ATK. Absolutely insane. Why would anyone want to run Wind-Ups over Dinos when you got broke guys like this and Lagia? Besides the inevitable high price of Rescue Rabbit lol.
5/5 - Pick them up and hold on to 'em! If people want to buy them off you, be bold and say $80-100.

Dark Smog
Continuous Trap
Once per turn: You can target 1 monster in your opponent's Graveyard; discard 1 Fiend-Type monster and banish that target.
Secret Rare
A discard outlet that lets you turn every DW card you have into a DD Crow? Seems like good sideboard material, unless your meta was all DW. I think the best thing to deal with DW is banishing their Graphas, and this card is a good enabler of that.
I don't think this will be as big of a money card that people are wanting it to be. It's a sideboard card that can get MST'd away, but it's better than getting your Gate MST'd, since people are gonna bring in their 3rd copy from the side against you.
I think it will settle as a $10-15 secret but have like an initial $40 tag and gradually go down from there.
3/5

I think there are 2 exclusives left and that will round out the set. Actually, I don't remember writing about Infernity Knight. It looks like a Super, and I'm not sure if it would get played over the stuff they already have. It doesn't seem to be like the card that would make players all of a sudden be like "oh snap I'm gonna play Infernity now." I know the deck can be very potent, about the only deck that can still spam Trish, I just think it takes a lot of skill to play well and players would rather herp with Tour Guide/ Grapha/ Hyperion/ BLS/ Rabbit+Dolkka+Ragia kinds of cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment